Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP)

Applying for Sponsorship

ECFMG Sponsorship Types

J-2 Dependent

ECFMG is authorized to sponsor the spouse and/or unmarried minor children of a J-1 physician for entry into the United States under J-2 visa status. A minor child is defined as one under the age of 21. A J-1 physician’s parents, siblings, extended family members, and nannies are not eligible for sponsorship as J-2 dependents.

J-2 dependents must:

J-2 dependent sponsorship can be requested:

A copy of the dependent’s passport biographic page and evidence of the family relationship (i.e., marriage, birth, or adoption certificate) with English translation, if applicable, must be uploaded in support of any dependent sponsorship request.

Please see the instructions sheet for more information on how to acquire J-2 status once Form DS-2019 has been issued by ECFMG. J-1 physicians are not required to notify ECFMG of newly arrived J-2 dependents.

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once an EAD card is issued, the J-2 dependent is then eligible to apply for a Social Security number through the Social Security Administration. If employed, income derived from the spouse’s employment cannot be used to support the J-1 physician and/or the family.

Back to top