CertificationAbout ECFMG Certification | New to ECFMG Certification? | IMGs in the United States | Definition of an IMG | How the Certification Process Works | Requirements for Certification | 2024 Accreditation Requirement | Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials | Eligibility for Examination | Verification of Credentials | Certification Verification | ECFMG Medical Credentials Reference Library
New to ECFMG Certification?
Then you probably have a lot of questions. Here are a few answers to get you started.
What is the purpose of ECFMG Certification?
ECFMG Certification is the standard for evaluating the qualifications of IMGs entering the U.S. health care system. It is a requirement for IMGs to:
- enter residency or fellowship programs that are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME),
- take Step 3 of the three-step United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), and
- obtain an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States.
What is an IMG?
ECFMG defines an international medical graduate (IMG) as a physician who received his/her basic medical degree from a medical school located outside the United States and Canada. The location of your medical school, not your citizenship, is what determines whether you are an IMG. This means that U.S. citizens who graduated from medical schools outside the United States and Canada are considered IMGs. Non-U.S. citizens who graduated from medical schools in the United States and Canada are not considered IMGs.
What are the requirements for ECFMG Certification?
The requirements for ECFMG Certification include:
- being a currently enrolled student or graduate of a medical school that meets ECFMG requirements;
- completion of the Application for ECFMG Certification, including the notarized Certification of Identification Form (Form 186);
- satisfying the examination requirements (medical science examination requirement, clinical skills requirement, and communication skills requirement); and
- primary-source verification of your medical education credentials.
How do I begin the certification process?
An IMG should begin the ECFMG certification process by first confirming his/her medical school meets ECFMG requirements. View the quick guide that shows you how to use the World Directory to determine if a school meets requirements for Certification. Once you have determined that students/graduates of your medical school are eligible to apply to ECFMG for Certification, you should request a USMLE/ECFMG Identification Number, which you can do through ECFMG’s Interactive Web Applications (IWA) by clicking on the link to establish an account.