Requirements for ECFMG Certification for 2022 Match
Important Information for 2021 Pathway Applicants
If you submitted an Application for Pathways for ECFMG Certification for 2021 Match, please see below for important information based on the status of your 2021 application and to determine what steps you may need to take if you wish to participate in the 2022 Match.
If your application was approved:
- If you wish to participate in the 2022 Match, you will not be required to reapply to a Pathway for the 2022 Match. Your previously accepted Pathway application will remain valid for the 2022 Match and for entry to U.S. graduate medical education (GME) programs in 2022.
- If you are certified by ECFMG based on a Pathway for the 2021 Match and your ECFMG Certificate lists an expiration date in 2021, this expiration date has automatically been extended to December 31, 2022. Please present this official letter with your ECFMG Certificate as confirmation of the extension. You will not receive a new ECFMG Certificate reflecting the extended expiration date.
- Once you complete the first year of an accredited U.S. GME program, your certificate is no longer subject to expiration.
- If you do not enter an accredited U.S. GME program by December 31, 2022, your ECFMG Certificate will expire for the purpose of entering U.S. GME. Should you wish to enter an accredited U.S. GME program in the future, you will be required to revalidate your ECFMG Certificate using the process required at that time.
If your application is currently in process:
- If you wish to participate in the 2022 Match, you will not need to reapply to a Pathway for the 2022 Match. ECFMG will continue to process your application as requirements are met and any outstanding items are received. If your incomplete application ultimately is approved, the approved application will be valid for the 2022 Match and for entry to U.S. GME through December 31, 2022.
- You can log in to the Pathways application to view the status of your application and determine which requirements need to be met and/or which items are outstanding and take the appropriate action.
- All eligibility requirements must be met, and all outstanding items received, including required documentation and passing OET Medicine scores, by the deadlines listed on this website for submitting a Pathway application for the 2022 Match.
If your application was rejected:
- If you wish to participate in the 2022 Match, you will need to reapply to a Pathway. There are updated Pathways requirements for 2022. Please review all requirements for ECFMG Certification for the 2022 Match, including general eligibility requirements for all Pathways, and the specific eligibility and application requirements for the individual Pathways, to determine your eligibility and application requirements.
- When you reapply to a Pathway, you will be required to resubmit all required documentation and pay the application fee.
- You can reapply now to Pathway 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 using the Application for Pathways for ECFMG Certification for 2022 Match.
- The on-line application process for Pathway 6 is expected to open in July 2021. Please monitor this website for the steps that you can take to prepare for Pathway 6 before July.
The preceding information is current as of April 27, 2021 and is subject to change. Please visit the ECFMG website frequently for updates regarding these requirements.