Requirements for ECFMG Certification for 2021 Match
Pathway 2: Already Passed a Standardized Clinical Skills Exam for Medical Licensure
Who Should Apply
This pathway is intended for applicants who are not eligible for Pathway 1, but who successfully completed a secure, standardized clinical skills exam as a requirement for medical licensure or registration in a country other than the United States.
Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements for Pathway 1 must apply to Pathway 1 and are ineligible to apply to Pathway 2.
Please note: Applicants who have a passing performance on USMLE Step 2 CS that is valid for ECFMG Certification and/or are certified by ECFMG are ineligible for the pathways. These individuals do not need to pursue the pathways to meet the requirements for ECFMG Certification or to participate in the 2021 Match.
- Applicant has successfully completed a secure Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) as a requirement for medical licensure or registration in another country, which is deemed acceptable by ECFMG. Exams that currently meet this requirement are:
- General Medical Council: Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) Part 2
- Australian Medical Council: Clinical Examination Part 2
- Australian Medical Council: Workplace Based Assessment
- Medical Council of Canada: Qualifying Examination Part II
- Medical Council of Canada: National Assessment Collaboration Examination
- Medical Council of Ireland: Pre-Registration Examination System (PRES), Level 3
- Medical Council of New Zealand: New Zealand Registration Examination (NZREX) Clinical
- Switzerland: Swiss Federal Licensing Examination Clinical Skills (FLE CS)
- Chile: Examen Único Nacional de Conocimientos de Medicina de Chile – SP (EUNACOM-SP)
- Malaysian Medical Council: Examination for Provisional Registration (EPR)
- UK Foundation Programme Clinical Assessment
- Date of examination must be on or after January 1, 2018.
- Applicant attends or has graduated from a medical school that either: A) administers an OSCE specifically required by the medical regulatory authority (MRA) in that country, and the applicant has successfully completed that exam, or B) is located in a country where the MRA requires an OSCE for licensure of international medical graduates but does not mandate that same licensure requirement for graduates of domestic medical schools. The following also apply:
- The medical school is located in a region/country that is not served by an accrediting agency recognized by the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) or the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA);
- The medical school is accredited by the MRA or MRA-designated accrediting agency in that region/country;
- The MRA’s requirement was established before 2020; and
- The applicant’s graduation date is on or after January 1, 2018.
- See the list of eligible schools.
Please note: Schools in countries with accrediting agencies recognized by WFME will be listed in Pathway 3. Schools in countries with accrediting agencies that have received a determination of comparability by NCFMEA will be listed in Pathway 4. Students and graduates of these schools will apply through the appropriate pathway.
If ECFMG determines that additional exams or medical schools are acceptable for this pathway, they will be added to the lists available above.
You can apply now using the Application for Pathways for ECFMG Certification for 2021 Match.
Your application must be submitted no later than December 31, 2020.
The ECFMG OSCE Attestation Form (if applicable, see below) must be received by ECFMG directly from your medical school no later than January 31, 2021.
In order for you to participate in the 2021 Match, ECFMG must determine the outcome of your pathway application; determine your overall eligibility for the 2021 Match, including verifying your passing performance on Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®); then report your eligibility status to the National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) by the NRMP Rank Order List Certification deadline. ECFMG will not determine the outcome of your pathway application until all required supporting documentation and/or verification(s) have been received. Therefore, the time needed to complete the processing of your application is contingent upon receipt of all supporting documentation and verifications. Please plan the timing of your application accordingly.
Once you begin the application, you will have five days to complete and submit it. If the application is not submitted within five days, it will be deleted, and you will need to begin a new application if you wish to apply to a pathway.
To begin the application, you will need to log in with your USMLE/ECFMG ID and ECFMG On-line Services password.
After you log in, the application will indicate whether you meet the eligibility requirements that pertain to all pathways. If you meet these general eligibility requirements, you will proceed to questions regarding your eligibility for the specific pathways, beginning with Pathway 1.
If you meet the eligibility requirements for Pathway 1, you are ineligible for Pathway 2 and will not proceed to questions on Pathway 2. If you do not meet the Pathway 1 eligibility requirements, you will proceed to provide information regarding your eligibility for Pathway 2.
To determine if you are eligible for Pathway 2, you will be required to indicate whether you:
- Successfully completed an OSCE required for medical licensure or registration on or after January 1, 2018 that ECFMG has deemed acceptable for Pathway 2 (as listed above).
- If you select this option, you will be asked to select the exam that you passed from the list of acceptable exams, to indicate your exam date, and to upload the appropriate documentation from the authority that administered the exam. ECFMG will primary-source verify the documentation that you upload with the authority.
- Attend or have graduated from a medical school that ECFMG has deemed acceptable for Pathway 2 (as listed above), and that your graduation date, or expected graduation date, is on or after January 1, 2018.
- If you select this option, you will be asked to select the medical school from which you graduated, or expect to graduate, and to indicate your graduation date.
- If you are a graduate, upload a copy of your final medical diploma. ECFMG will primary-source verify your diploma directly with the school. Please note: If your final medical diploma already has been primary-source verified by ECFMG, ECFMG will use this prior verification to complete your application.
- If you are a student or if you are a graduate and your final medical diploma has not yet been issued, you do not need to upload documentation when completing the on-line application.
- For students of schools in Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Spain: You must demonstrate that you have successfully completed the OSCE by having your medical school complete the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) Attestation form. The form must be completed by an authorized official of your medical school and sent directly to ECFMG by the medical school. Please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that your medical school completes and sends the OSCE Attestation form in support of your application; your application cannot be approved until the completed attestation is received and accepted by ECFMG. The form must be received by ECFMG no later than January 31, 2021.
- For students of schools in Malaysia: Please contact ECFMG after you submit your application for instructions on how to demonstrate that you meet the student requirements for this pathway.
After providing the required information and uploading supporting documentation, you will be required to provide information on your English Language Proficiency Assessment. (Please note: You do not need to take and pass the English language proficiency assessment before submitting the on-line pathways application.) Following that, you will be asked to provide payment and submit your application to ECFMG.
Once your application is received, ECFMG will evaluate it. A case manager will contact you if there are any issues with your application or if we require additional information.
Important Information on Documentation Submitted in Support of Your Application
- Primary-source verification. ECFMG will verify the authenticity of any document that you provide directly with the authority that issued the document. ECFMG also may verify with the issuing authority any documents submitted on your behalf.
- If the authority charges a fee for verification, payment of the fee is your responsibility.
- Your pathway application cannot be approved until verification is received and accepted by ECFMG.
- Documents not in English. Any document submitted to ECFMG that is not in English must be accompanied by an English translation that meets ECFMG’s translation requirements. ECFMG strongly encourages you to obtain translations from its recommended translation service, Straker Translations. See Translation Service for more information. If a document submitted on your behalf is not in English, ECFMG will have the document translated and will charge your financial account for this service. Fees charged by Straker Translations vary depending on the source language and number of pages in the document.
- The name on your document. If the name on your document does not match the name in your ECFMG record, ECFMG may contact you to request documentation to confirm your name as it appears on your document.
Fees and Payment
The fee for applying to a pathway is $900. Full payment is due when you submit your application.
You must use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express credit card with a security code; credit available in your ECFMG Financial Account cannot be used to pay for a pathway application.
Fees related to your application are not refundable. If you submit a pathway application and ECFMG determines that you are ineligible for the pathway or denies your request for exception, your application will be rejected and the fee will not be refunded. In addition, if ECFMG does not receive all required documentation in support of your application, as well as any required verifications of submitted documentation from the issuing authority, your application will not be complete, and the application fee will not be refunded.
Application Processing Time
Once your application has been submitted, you can use the on-line Application for Pathways for ECFMG Certification for 2021 Match to check the status of your application. The following guidelines may be helpful:
- Please allow five business days after submission of your application for a case manager to begin reviewing your application.
- If any documentation is required for your pathway application, such as a Certificate/Letter of Good Standing or an Attestation from your medical school, please allow five business days for the submitted document to be added to your previously submitted application.
- OET Medicine scores are provided to ECFMG five business days after they have been released to you. Please allow three business days after receipt by ECFMG for your results to be added to your previously submitted application.
- Once your eligibility review has been completed, ECFMG will conduct a final review of your application. Please allow five business days for this final review.
The time needed to complete the processing of your application is contingent upon receipt of all supporting documentation and verifications.
The preceding information is current as of October 21, 2020 and is subject to change. Please visit the ECFMG website frequently for updates regarding these requirements.