CertificationAbout ECFMG Certification | New to Certification? | IMGs in the United States | Definition of an IMG | How the Certification Process Works | Requirements for Certification | 2023 Accreditation Requirement | Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials | Eligibility for Examination | Verification of Credentials | Certification Verification | ECFMG Medical Credentials Reference Library
2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement
Implementation of the 2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement has been moved to 2024. See our announcement. This section will be updated in the coming weeks with further information.
Four-Phase Implementation Plan
Since the announcement in 2010, ECFMG has developed a transition plan for the implementation of the 2023 Accreditation Requirement. This four-phase plan will provide medical students, graduate medical education (GME) program directors, and others with information to guide their decision making.
Phase 1 – 2018: New ECFMG web resource to help students make better decisions on medical school selection
- Guidance for students on selecting a medical school.
- Link to accrediting agencies recognized by WFME.
- Visit the new resource at www.ecfmg.org/medschoolselection.
Phase 2 – 2020: World Directory of Medical Schools includes accreditation status of medical school
- Medical schools that are accredited by an agency recognized by WFME will be indicated in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
Phase 3 – 2021: ECFMG reports include information on accreditation status of medical school
- ECFMG physician reports to GME programs, employers, state boards, and medical regulatory authorities will include a statement on the accreditation status of the medical school. For example, “This medical school was accredited in [Year] by an agency recognized by WFME.”
Phase 4 – 2023: Eligibility for ECFMG Certification is tied to accreditation status of medical school
- Individuals will be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification if their medical school is accredited by an agency recognized by WFME.